Horse Experiences, Memories and Opinions

My name is Tom Simmons. I have had Morgan horses since 1963. I have trained almost any breed you can think of. I have had a good amount of success. I have written articles for Western Horseman, The Morgan Horse, and The Carriage Journal. In the 47 years that I have worked horses, I have seen a lot. I would like to share with you some of my experiences, opinions and memories. Please feel free to email your thoughts. I will try to address them. Tom

Name:
Location: North Carolina

Monday, May 01, 2006

Good Natured Stallions

Stallions are judged readily as to whether or not they are good or bad natured. This belief or observation alone can be the determining factor in which stallions are chosen.

I knew a very good natured stallion once. You could stand him tied in a group of mares and he would never say a word. You could ride him all day with other horses and never get a peep out of him. Sixteen hand black horse. Western working bred. In fact he was used on a ranch until he was 16 years old. I knew this horse very well. He was a nice horse.

Lots of people bred to him, and I trained a numberof his get and worked some of them in clinics.... I found that all, not one or two, but all of them, were hot, willful and hard to train. Now was this stallion quiet because of his breeding or was he quiet because he had been worked very hard as a younger horse. So once again, what you see may not be what you get. What is the truth about this horse? I don't know.

I have seen horses that people said were mean because some trainer beat him up, he was teased, kept in a dark stall, the list goes on and on as to why he is mean. Then there is always the horse that has all these things done to him and and he is as kind as an old pussy cat. Now what made one horse mean and the other kind? I think it is the breeding.

When you make excuses to breed to a mean horse, you stand a very good chance of getting a mean horse. Some horses that people label as playful would very easily turn into mean horses. Playing is mock fighting. A horse has to want to be dominant to be mean. Horses that want to be dominant come from dominant parents.

It is all in the blood.

Tom

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home