Horse Experiences, Memories and Opinions

My name is Tom Simmons. I have had Morgan horses since 1963. I have trained almost any breed you can think of. I have had a good amount of success. I have written articles for Western Horseman, The Morgan Horse, and The Carriage Journal. In the 47 years that I have worked horses, I have seen a lot. I would like to share with you some of my experiences, opinions and memories. Please feel free to email your thoughts. I will try to address them. Tom

Name:
Location: North Carolina

Monday, April 24, 2006

Breeding
In the years that I have bred and trained horses I have learned a lot. Because I have trained a lot of horses, I have had a good overview of different horses and different breeds. The most important thing that I have learned is what you see in a mare or stallion is often not what you get. Within a breed there are families that do not cross well with other families and there are individuals within the family that do not cross well with other individuals. To breed to a National Champion may not be the best cross for your mare. Your mare may have a much better foal by the horse that stood fifth in that same class. The thing that has been a bonus for me is that I have personnally trained what I have bred. Because I have trained them I have a first hand knowledge what that off spring is like. My opinion is never based on outside information. To be a good breeder you have to know what you want in your horses. You need to know what it looks like and what it feels like.

When you breed a dog you may have 10 puppies. There will be a pick of the litter. A few may be show dogs. Some will be pet quality.

When you breed your horse, your mare she will have one foal. It may be a pick of the litter or it could be pet quality. You may breed your mare ten times and she may never have a top quality foal. You can greatly increase your chances of a top quality foal if you thoroughly understand the families of your mare and of your stallion.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home